On June 7, 1861, The First Presbyterian Church was founded on the west side of the Grand River. In 1861, the east side Presbyterians established a mission church in a rented wood frame building on the northwest corner of Division and Lyon. By 1865, the congregation had outgrown the original structure and built their own church on the southwest corner of Division and Lyon.
In 1886, the current sanctuary was built in our present location; it seated 700 and was heated by coal stoves and lighted by oil lamps. Originally, the building faced east, but around 1915, the chancel and choir loft were moved to the south side of the sanctuary. A balcony was added as well.
In 1922, the parish building was added and in 1955, the church purchased the Christian Reformed Publishing House next door. It serves as our dining room and kitchen, among other uses.