Posts Tagged With 'Camp-henry'
The Volume 2016, #1 issue of Chimes: The Geography of Mission is now available. In this issue:
- Introducing Linking Lives
- Rev Stokes Letter: Mission 2016
- The Geography of Mission
- Mission Committees
- Camp Henry Forest Management
- Black Lives Matter
- Much more!
The Dining Hall is the oldest building at Camp Henry. Originally built in 1936, it has had additions added to all four sides. Every camper or guest that has ever been to Camp Henry has utilized this same iconic building.
During the Winter of 2015/2016 a significant renovation of the Dining Hall will take place – increasing the capacity from 187 to 300 and providing a brand new commercial kitchen, new bathrooms, a walk up snack window, and a new conference room – as well as over 3,000 square feet of additional storage.
We are thrilled to be able to retain the current Dining Hall while at the same time making these significant and necessary additions.
The March issue of Chimes is now available. In this month's issue:
- Membership: Welcoming new members
- Camp Henry: Preaching the Gospel at all times, and when necessary use words.
- One Great Hour of Sharing
- Educational Programming
- Much more!
The February issue of Chimes is now available. In this month's issue:
- Mission Does Matter
- Mission Matters - WCDC Benefits
- Mission Matters - Camp Henry Dining Hall Expansion
- MissionMatters - Upgrades for the Pantry
- Much more!
The June issue of Chimes is now available. In this month's issue:
- Information on our Feasibility Study
- Staff picks for summer reads
- Sanctuary roof updates…it's time for slate tiles!
- Welcome to our new members
- Camp Henry happenings
- Youth and Music Ministries summer activities and trips
The Westminster Welcome...Seven Days a Week
The plan for addressing the facility needs of our core missions and our roof is ready for you to review. Before any fundraising begins, we need your opinion, which will be kept confidential, to determine the level of support for the plan.
First... Read this Letter
Second... View this video:
Third…Read this Letter
Fourth...Take this Survey
If you have questions regarding either the online or materials you will receive this week - or if you want to request a personal interview, please contact Kathy Cisler, Church Administrator, at 616-717-5533 or email@example.com. Thank you in advance for your guidance.
WPC and Camp Henry are very proud to host the ministry of Camp Sunshine, a specialized summer camp providing people ages 12-50 with developmental disabilities the opportunity for fellowship and recreational activity in a safe, caring and inclusive environment. In order to make this week possible, we are looking for volunteers to help with moving belongings, relieving staff, troubleshooting technology, and encouraging campers and volunteers alike. If you'd like more information, please contact Rev. Katherine Baker (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cindy Terlouw (email@example.com) or Director Jake Jacobs (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. Help move in and/or help pack up Camp Sunshine.
- a. Volunteer Move In: Saturday afternoon, June 28: (10+ people)
- b. Volunteer Move Out: Sunday afternoon, July 6: (10+ people)
2. Help relieve counselors at nights for cabin coverage (from 8:45p-midnight).
- a. Volunteer Night 1: Sunday, June 29 (20+ people)
- b. Volunteer Night 2: Monday, June 30 (20+ people)
- c. Volunteer Night 3: Tuesday, July 1 (20+ people)
- a. Volunteer Night 1: Thursday, July 3 (20+ people)
- b. Volunteer Night 2: Friday, July 4 (20+ people)
- c. Volunteer Night 3: Saturday, July 5 (20+ people)
3. Helping relieve counselors during the day for floating (from 9:00a-2:00p).
- a. Volunteer Day 2: Monday, June 30 (10+ people)
- a. Volunteer Day 2: Friday, July 4 (10+ people)
- b. Volunteer Day 3: Saturday, July 5 (10+ people)
4. Help encourage counselors and staff of both Camp Henry and Camp Sunshine.
- a. Hospitality Baskets at Idema House for Camp Sunshine Staff (Session 1, Session 2)
- b. Letters of affirmation to each cabin, praying for campers and leaders (Session 1, Session 2)
- c. Hospitality Baskets to Camp Henry Counselors and Staff (End of Week)
5. Help run the expansive sound systems! Are you good with tech equipment and assisting with communications?
6. Help document memories by taking pictures! Seeking professional or very seasoned photographers!
Please join us in welcoming Camp Sunshine to Camp Henry this summer!
Dear Westminster members and friends,
We are asking you to support our mission at Camp Henry with a financial gift. While Camp Henry has experienced tremendous success over the past year with record enrollment, new capital improvements, and a strong staff, there is one area where Camp Henry is in significant, urgent need of support:
The Camp Henry Scholarship Fund is drastically underfunded.
Foundations grants for scholarships have been reduced by a combined $32,000, and we are committed to only offering scholarships once we have the money. We have 73 campers on a waiting list, who need financial assistance in order to attend Camp Henry this summer—and this number grows daily.
The current need is $29,967 to get those 73 campers into camp.
Because we are financially healthy, every dollar you send goes directly to the scholarship fund.
We are committed to doing everything we can to make sure money is not a barrier to attending Camp Henry this summer.
Camp Henry is not possible without the faithful and consistent support of WPC. We invite you to be a part of extending the Westminster Welcome at Camp Henry and to helping us move these campers off of the waiting list and into camp.
—Rev. Chandler Stokes, senior pastor, and Dr. Jeff “Jake” Jacobs, executive director of Camp Henry
Over the past few years, Camp Henry has moved from a sometimes tenuous part of our ministry to a vibrant, steady and fully integrated part of Westminster. And this summer we will also be ending one of our ministries up at Camp. We will be conducting Sunday services on Sundays at Camp Henry on Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend, but not during the rest of the summer.
It has become increasingly expensive and difficult for us to provide the appropriate coordination and staff support for these services. The overhead of energy, time and money, has become more than is sustainable or is in our best interests. Rev. Stokes will be preaching next Sunday up at camp, but we wanted you all to know of this change.
The May issue of Chimes is now available. In this month’s issue:
- Celebrating the women of Westminster
- Presbyterian Women of Westminster reboots
- Feminist theology sparks a new conversation
- New cabins are being constructed at Camp Henry
- Our Heritage Sunday list of 50+ year members
We are thrilled to be having Westminster Week at Camp Henry this summer! Campers from Westminster are certainly welcome to attend Camp Henry at any point during the summer. Even so, we’ve set aside the week of July 6-12 as “Westminster Week”. If you are wanting to come to Camp Henry this summer at a time when other WPC kids will be at camp – then this is the week for you. Adam and Sarah will be onsite at Camp Henry all week and jumping in on the fun.
Campers can choose from all of the week long overnight camping options – or our 5-day Day Camp program Monday, the 7th, through Friday, the 11th. There is daily transportation available from WPC for Day Campers. Also, don’t forget that all WPC members get $40 off a full week of camp or $20 off Day or Mini Camp at Camp Henry.
Wednesday: Feminist and womanist theology
Join an intergenerational dialogue in the chapel from 6:00–7:30p. This week’s conversation will center around “Golden Girls: Naomi and Ruth, In-Laws and In Between.” Join our intergenerational dialogue on the stories two women integral to each other’s redemption and survival.
Please note: No childcare or dinner this week.
Give the gift of Camp this Christmas
Are you looking for the perfect gift to give to your loved one at Christmas? Consider giving the gift of camp—register them for summer camp 2014—or sign them up for one of our upcoming events: New Year’s Eve Camp, Spring Sweep, or Dad & Me Weekend!
Missed worship? Read the additional bulletin announcements and calendar here.
Sunday at 7:00p: Christmas concert
Join us for the annual Westminster Christmas concert this Sunday, December 8, at 7:00p. The Sanctuary Choir, Kirk Singers, and orchestra will perform selections from Handel’s Messiah and African-American spirituals, together with our new harpsichord, as well as a sing-along of traditional carols by the congregation. A freewill offering will be collected, and nursery care will be provided.
Wednesday: WOW! family movie night
This Wednesday, December 4, bring the family and come for dinner at 5:30p followed by The Muppet Christmas Carol at 6:00p; the movie runs about 80 minutes long and is appropriate for ages 5–6+.
Conversation about suicide
Two weeks ago in worship, Rev. Stokes addressed questions related to suicide, and offered a time when we might gather to talk openly about a very difficult and taboo subject. It is a subject that needs light. This Wednesday, December 4, at 6:00p, two therapists from our congregation will lead a conversation about how suicide has touched our lives. Please join us.
Huge savings on Camp Henry registration!
Are you as excited as these guys for summer camp? Westminster members who register by Friday (December 6) will save $80 for week long camps or $40 for day or mini camps. Think of it as a Cyber Monday sale for your summer plans! Even if you’re unsure of your summer schedule, register anyway to take advantage of this significant discount: View the 2014 camp sessions and register online!
The November issue of Chimes is now available. In this month’s issue:
- Focusing on our core missions: Westminster Downtown Food Pantry, WCDC, and Camp Henry
- Introducing the new Community Food Club
- Looking ahead to Advent
- ArtPrize 2013 wrap-up
- New members