Pastoral care at Westminster
Whether you’re hurting, grieving a loss, facing a medical procedure, or need additional prayer and guidance, Westminster’s pastoral care team is here to support you. We provide care to members and non-members alike, and hold your information in strict confidence, sharing it only with your permission.
If you desire contact and care from our staff, we invite you to contact one of our closely- and confidentially-monitored numbers 24/7/365:
- 616-717-5542 (Susan Jennings’s office)
- 616-717-5545 (Rev. Jen Porter's office)
- 616-717-5574 (Rev. Jeremy Bork's office)
The pastoral care team responds to concerns on a rotational basis to more closely connect with congregational needs and to respond quickly when pastoral care is requested.
We ask that you help us be alert to pastoral care concerns, hospitalizations, or scheduled surgeries. (Due to HIPAA regulations, hospitals are unable to inform congregations regarding their members.)
We also ask that members let us know of prayer concerns for inclusion in our staff meetings, bulletins, and prayer request email list—each of which are only utilized with your permission. You can submit prayer requests online or by any of the contact information listed above.
The pastoral care team
Pastoral care at Westminster is delivered by a multidisciplinary team of nine individuals, whose training and professional experience allow them to coordinate care to serve you best:
Susan Jennings, minister for pastoral care and membership, leads the pastoral care team. Susan’s knowledge of the congregation and compassionate personality set the tone for the care we provide.
- Susan Jennings, Rev. Jen Porter, and Rev. Jeremy Bork provide most of the first response care for our members.
- Steve Baron, funeral-planning coordinator, consults with the team and provides funeral guidance for members and families.
- Edie Van Sprange, bereavement coordinator, coordinates visitation and communication following the death of a loved one, and provides material to families in grief.
- Kathy Cisler, administrative manager, assists the team with recordkeeping and scheduling.
One of the great strengths of our ministry is that our care is delivered together with our weekly Caring Deacons’ response and the long term care of the Sustaining Deacons.